A whole new take on knitting - silky garments in luscious colours, photographic ArtKnit dresses and pillows.
I design and make my work at my shop/workshop in Camden and my studio in Hackney, aiming at the customer looking for sustainability, style and something special.
As a designer/maker I have built up a discerning clientele over the years, who love my knits, as well as the made to measure service I offer for my designs.
Just to re-cap, I started my business trading at Camden Lock from a stall in the East Yard in November 1986, 35 years ago, when there were railings onto Chalk Farm Road and the Old Black shed (now Dingwalls) was full of vintage clothing, jewellery, old furniture, pictures, old pottery, vinyl albums and lots of interesting junk to browse through!
From that small beginning, I now sell my work worldwide, to customers who appreciate the 'one-off' and hand made quality of my work.
My work is made to a very high standard in kid mohair, silk, linen, viscose, cotton and fine Italian yarns. I have most of my yarns specially dyed and blended to order.
With no cutting of the knitted fabric involved in the process of making, my garments are durable and tailored to be very individual.
Please have a look at this recent video about me and my work (skip the ads)....
Sustainability is a high priority of mine. I don't work to Seasons or Collections but design in an organic way. A lot of my clothing can be worn at any time of the year and I am constantly developing and adding new pieces to my range.
Also stocked in the shop to compliment the knitwear -
Mid fold shoes from United Nude, pieces of Art in their own right, and some rather stylish jewellery from various designers.
Please check my online shop here...
Before opening my shop, I showed my work at prestigious design fairs such as the Chelsea Crafts Fair run by the Crafts Council, with orders from round the world including the outlets listed below - but now I concentrate solely on retail and design.
- Julie Dale Artisans Gallery, New York, USA
- Simon Pearce Glass, Vermont, USA
- Three Bags Full, San Francisco, USA
- Scotch on the Rockies Colorado, USA
- Pavo Real Boutique Boston, Chicago, Washington DC and Seattle, USA
- Baff Boutique, Berlin, Germany
- Hitchcocks, Bath and Alresford, Hampshire, UK
- Ragamuffin, Edinburgh and Isle of Skye, UK
- Duffer St George, London, UK
- Number 2, Hay-on-Wye, UK
- Finishing Touches, Sheffield, UK
Exhibitions and Events include:
- 'Chelsea Craft Fair' London 1987-96
- 'Plying for Trade', Smiths Gallery, Covent Garden, London 1989
- Edinburgh Festival, 'The Tent' 1990
- 'Chelsea Goes to California', Los Angeles, USA 1990
- 'Design in Knitwear' London 1991-95
- ‘Artisan', Edinburgh Festival 1998
- 'Country Living Fair' British Design Centre, London, Spring 99, Autumn 1999-2002
- 'Hidden Art' Open Studios 2004
- 'Pure' Olympia 2005-2007
- Initiated and organised Fashion Shows at Camden Lock, London 2003-6
- 'Visit London Awards' Finalist - Peoples Choice, Royal Albert Hall, London 2008
- Made Backdrops for 'The Knitting Circle' performed at the Soho Theatre, London 2011
- Camden Fashion Shows, Camden Lock, London 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- ‘The Craft Market’ Tent Exhibitions, Shoreditch, London 2012
- XMAS Jumper Day to support Save the Children Camden lock, London 2013, 2014
- 'WRAP THE LOCK' The Big Knit Project, Camden Lock, London 2014
- ’30 YEARS in the MAKING’ Book Launch, Craft Central Gallery, Clerkenwell, Nov 2016
- Chosen to be on the Crafts Council Makers Directory 2017
- ArtKnit cushions chosen by Royal Albert Memorial Museum to support V&A
- 'POP ART in Print' Exhibition, Exeter 2018
- New temporary Studio open at Unit 7, The East Yard, Camden, London, November 2021
- Return to my original studio in the West Yard, Camden Lock, February 2022
- Solo Exhibition at The Camden Image Gallery, Royal College Street, March 2023
- 'MADE BRIGHTON' Craft and Design Fair, Brighton, 23-26 November 2023