the Art of Making.......
Penny Burdett Knitwear
48 Upper Walkway
The West Yard
Chalk Farm Road
+44 207 4826630
A whole new take on knitwear - silky garments in luscious colours and knitted photographic images -
Since opening my shop in Camden, I have concentrated on retailing my own knitwear, aimed at the woman looking for style, quality and something special.
As a designer/maker I have built up a discerning clientele who love my knits, as well as the made to measure service I offer for my designs.
My work is made to a very high standard in kid mohair, silk, linen, cotton and fine Italian yarns. I have most of my yarns specially dyed and blended to order.
With no cutting of the knitted fabric involved in the process of making, my garments are durable and tailored to be very individual.
Sustainability is a high priority of mine. I don't work to Seasons or Collections but design in an organic way. A lot of my clothing can be worn at any time of the year and I am constantly developing and adding new pieces to my range.
Also stocked in the shop to compliment the knitwear -
Mid fold shoes from United Nude, pieces of Art in their own right, and some rather stylish jewellery from various designers.
And now I have at last opened my own online shop
I started my knitwear business in 1986, having always had a fascination with designing and making clothes.
Before opening my shop, I showed my work at prestigious design fairs such as the Chelsea Crafts Fair run by the Crafts Council, with orders from round the world including the outlets listed below - but now I concentrate solely on retail and design.
- Julie Dale Artisans Gallery, New York, USA
- Simon Pearce Glass, Vermont, USA
- Three Bags Full, San Francisco, USA
- Scotch on the Rockies Colorado, USA
- Pavo Real Boutique Boston, Chicago, Washington DC and Seattle, USA
- Baff Boutique, Berlin, Germany
- Hitchcocks, Bath and Alresford, Hampshire, UK
- Ragamuffin, Edinburgh and Isle of Skye, UK
- Oasis stores, UK
- Duffer St George, London, UK
- Number 2, Hay-on-Wye, UK
- Finishing Touches, Sheffield, UK
Exhibitions and Events include:
- Chelsea Craft Fair, London 1988-97
- 'Plying for Trade', Smiths Gallery, Covent Garden, London 1989
- Edinburgh Festival, The Tent 1990
- 'Chelsea Goes to California', Los Angeles, USA 1990
- Design in Knitwear, London 1991-95
- ‘Artisan', Edinburgh Festival 1998
- Country Living Fair, BDC, London, Spring 99, Autumn 1999-2002
- Hidden Art Open Studios 2004
- Pure Olympia 2005-2007
- Fashion Shows at Camden Lock, London 2003-6
- Visit London Awards Finalist - Peoples Choice, Royal Albert Hall, London 2008
- Made Backdrops for 'The Knitting Circle' performed at the Soho Theatre, London 2011
- Camden Fashion Shows, Camden Lock, London 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- ‘The Craft Market’ Tent Exhibitions, Shoreditch, London 2012
- XMAS Jumper Day to support Save the Children Camden lock, London 2013, 2014
- WRAP THE LOCK The Big Knit Project, Camden Lock, London 2014
- ’30 Years in the Making’ exhibition and Book Launch, Craft Central Gallery, Clerkenwell, London 2016
- Chosen to be on the Crafts Council Makers Directory 2017
- ArtKnit cushions chosen by Royal Albert Memorial Museum to support V&A 'POP ART in Print' Exhibition, Exeter 2018