the Art of Making.......
Penny Burdett Knitwear
48 Upper Walkway
The West Yard
Chalk Farm Road
+44 207 4826630
A whole new take on knitwear - silky garments in luscious colours and knitted photographic images -
Since opening my shop in Camden, I have concentrated on retailing my own knitwear, aimed at the woman looking for style, quality and something special.
As a designer/maker I have built up a discerning clientele who love my knits, as well as offering a made to measure service for my designs.
A small team of local makers produce my designs, which are made to a very high standard in kid mohair, silk, linen, cotton and fine Italian yarns. I have most of my yarns specially dyed and blended to order.
All of my designs are limited editions - the ‘one-off' Art pieces I make myself.
I am constantly developing and adding new designs to my range.
Also stocked in the shop to compliment the knitwear -
Mid fold shoes from United Nude, pieces of Art in their own right.
And now I have at last opened my own online shop
I started my knitwear business in 1986, having always had a fascination with designing and making clothes.
Before opening my shop, I showed my work at prestigious design fairs such as the Chelsea Crafts Fair run by the Crafts Council, with orders from round the world including the outlets listed below - but now I concentrate solely on retail and design.
- Julie Dale Artisans Gallery, New York, USA
- Simon Pearce Glass, Vermont, USA
- Three Bags Full, San Francisco, USA
- Scotch on the Rockies Colorado, USA
- Pavo Real Boutique Boston, Chicago, Washington DC and Seattle, USA
- Baff Boutique, Berlin, Germany
- Hitchcocks, Bath and Alresford, Hampshire, UK
- Ragamuffin, Edinburgh and Isle of Skye, UK
- Oasis stores, UK
- Duffer St George, London, UK
- Number 2, Hay-on-Wye, UK
- Finishing Touches, Sheffield, UK
Exhibitions and Events include:
- Chelsea Craft Fair, London 1988-97
- 'Plying for Trade', Smiths Gallery, Covent Garden, London 1989
- Edinburgh Festival, The Tent 1990
- 'Chelsea Goes to California', Los Angeles, USA 1990
- Design in Knitwear, London 1991-95
- ‘Artisan', Edinburgh Festival 1998
- Country Living Fair, BDC, London, Spring 99, Autumn 1999-2002
- Hidden Art Open Studios 2004
- Pure Olympia 2005-2007
- Fashion Shows at Camden Lock, London 2003-6
- Visit London Awards Finalist - Peoples Choice, Royal Albert Hall, London 2008
- Made Backdrops for 'The Knitting Circle' performed at the Soho Theatre, London 2011
- Camden Fashion Shows, Camden Lock, London 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- ‘The Craft Market’ Tent Exhibitions, Shoreditch, London 2012
- XMAS Jumper Day to support Save the Children Camden lock, London 2013, 2014
- WRAP THE LOCK The Big Knit Project, Camden Lock, London 2014
- ’30 Years in the Making’ exhibition and Book Launch, Craft Central Gallery, Clerkenwell, London 2016
- Chosen to be on the Crafts Council Makers Directory 2017
- ArtKnit cushions chosen by Royal Albert Memorial Museum to support V&A 'POP ART in Print' Exhibition, Exeter 2018